Thursday 10 December 2009

Las Lomas Library Project - Imara Gray

My first day at the library project at Las Lomas School was a first day like no other. Timo (the volunteer who works alongside me) and I arrived to find that we were locked out of the school compound.

Moreover, it turned out that no one inside the school had the key to let us in! I began to wonder whether we were actually going to be welcome at our project or not.

After climbing over the school gate by step-ladder, however, I quickly knew the answer to this question. Immediately, a swarm of small children ran across the yard and jumped on us with such enthusiasm they almost knocked us over! With children hanging from every limb we greeted the smiling headmistress and teachers, and made our way over to the classroom to teach our first lesson.

We have now been teaching at Las Lomas for two weeks. Some things have changed very little. The children still have as much energy and enthusiasm as on the first day, which is fantastic to see. A lot of our work has been about trying to channel this energy into learning English, which we have achieved using a variety of techniques including lots of interactive tasks, games of Bingo (which the children love), and a bit of constructive bribery! It is a process we still struggle to keep on top of every day, but I hope that we are getting a bit better at it.

Some things have changed a little more. Recently, Timo and I gave two of our classes exams (yes, we are that evil!). Some of the children did very well, some of them a little less so, but I can honestly say that when marking the exams, I was proud of every one of them for what they have learned so far. I hope that Timo and I will be able to help the children further expand on their progress. They are a great group of kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment