Friday 1 April 2011

Diego's Dream: First steps and great challenges

I really like changes and challenges, but the one I was about to experience was something brand new. Some say you need to feel like you have a command over your challenge before achieving, but for me this was not the case. November 2010, I started training to become the new assistant operations manager at Otra Cosa Network. So, this is me, Diego Velasquez Pastor*, a young Peruvian guy preparing for an amazing job and at the same time a huge duty. Now you may wonder, how did I come across this opportunity?

It was a cold October and I was about to finish my 9th semester at the National University of Trujillo. When searching for jobs on the internet, I found a posting from OCN and it caught my eye. I put everything else aside because the ad was in English, my beloved second language, the one I try to improve every day. “Otra Cosa” is also the name of my favorite record from Mexican singer Julieta Venegas. A sign? I thought so and decided to apply! For one week there was no response which devastated me considering most Peruvian recruiters call right away to arrange a personal interview. Some people even get the job that same day. I didn’t know at the time that Otra Cosa is an alternative NGO and they would have a unique and personal interviewing process.

Two weeks later, Najin Kim, OCN operations manager sent me an e-mail. She asked me to come by the office the following week for a personal interview. It was a Friday and as soon as I stepped foot into the office I felt the great vibe and their professionalism. Najin and I talked about my resume and OCN expectations. She made me write a couple essays. I waited for a whole other week. Finally, she emailed me again to arrange a Skype interview with the directors: Juany and Peter Murphy. I was feeling sick that day, a bad cold. I was afraid I couldn’t speak loud enough for them to hear me. I was glad that they did. They were very polite and nice while asking me very specific issues. Once again I waited another week and to be honest, whether it was my sickness or the long time they took to do this selection, I started to become negative about it all. Maybe they are not going to choose me. Maybe they are looking for someone older. Maybe I didn’t fit their mold. Maybe…

On another fine Friday, Najin called me to tell me they wanted me to join the ONC team. I remember taking the phone call next to my window, it was a sunny day. I knew it was another sign that I was on the right track. Thank God, I stuck through it all. I´m amazed by the chance I have every day to work on something I really enjoy. However, it is not an easy job. It takes a lot of time planning things, thinking of them, dreaming of them and smiling when they work out as expected and needed. At times there is a lot of information to process and plenty of things to get done; you always have to be ready to change plans at the last minute. We work with and for volunteers, local social projects and international partners; we learn new ways to improve procedures, but our main rule is flexibility, moving in like the waves on the sea. It’s funny and so true when Najin called it “organized” chaos. From Juany and Peter Murphy to our local collaborators, we all work with passion. And we don’t mind getting tons of sand in our sandals as long as we can make a difference in people’s life. We do our best to give everyone hope and the best reward for us is seeing that everyone understands this and appreciates it.

I`m writing this article from the OCN office and it`s so inspiring to see the garden glowing under the sun as usual. I’m sure I’m going to stay here for a long time. Obviously lots of things have changed since I first got the job. We’re growing in a very fast way, like a caterpillar shedding its cocoon. Human beings and organizations need to shed their skins to find better ones. The first trimester of 2011 is almost over and a new shiny day has come for Otra Cosa Network, we hope to not only keep getting better, but also fill the fresh air with social awareness of the crucial work we love to do.

By Diego Velasquez from Peru (OCN, from Nov. 2010 - June 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment