Friday 1 April 2011

Brooks Experience: Small people can make big waves


I remember searching online before I came to Peru in December 2010. I was scanning organic farms in Ecuador and teaching projects in Argentina before I came across an organization called Otra Cosa Network. Specifically, I became interested in the Un Lugar Surf School Project, one of the local businesses working with Otra Cosa Network. I grew up surfing in Florida and the early memories of learning how to catch waves are still some of my favorite. This project coupled with the amazing landscape of Peru was enough to convince me to book a plane ticket in January.

After arriving in Huanchaco I was eager to begin my project. The assistant manager, Diego, showed me to the Un Lugar Surf School on the induction “walking tour”. I stepped inside and it was like entering a giant tree house. Surfboards lined the walls and hammocks draped beneath bungalows that were built above the shop. I was introduced to the owner Juan Carlos who took me on a tour of the shop. He began explaining in broken English, “This is where we repair the board, this is the place for the repair of destruction of wetsuit, it is necessary for kids to begin on large board.” He went on to explain how teaching the kids helped to build their confidence and help them to love the ocean.
The kids would show up Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 9:00a.m. Two fellow volunteers, Tom and Rafael, worked on the project with me. The day would begin with a few local kids banging on the door yelling “tabla, tabla.” A few moments later all the children from Mundo de Ninos (a local home for ex-street children in Huanchaco and another project working with Otra Cosa Network) would show up. The volunteers would distribute the wetsuits and rash guards. We would then help the kids pick out boards and walk with them down to the ocean. Everyone would do stretches together and a light run down the beach to warm up. Once everyone was ready the fun began. All the kids were smiling just to be out in the ocean.
I noticed a younger kid named Brian who stayed on his body board very close to the shore. Every time I would try to take him in deeper water he would start yelling. Finally after about an hour, I asked if he wanted to get on the long board with me. We paddled out and after we caught a wave he was yelling again. However, this time he was screaming to go back out and catch more. Brian made me think about the kids and what they had been through before they came to stay in Mundo de Ninos. I realized how important building their confidence really was. By 11:45 Tom and Rafael were in the water trying to get the kids to paddle in. “Vamos! Vamos!” we yelled as the kids laughed and ignored us to catch a few more waves. I didn’t get upset because I remember doing the same when I was their age. Finally, everyone came in and we headed back to the shop to rinse off the equipment.

When I first arrived in Peru all of my idealistic notions of helping the world were rocked by the realities of what actually needs to be done. After being here a while I realized how important hundreds of volunteers doing just a little bit for the community is. Now I take comfort in knowing the problem is huge but the solutions don’t have to be.

By Brooks Hammet from USA (Un Lugar Surfschool, from Jan. - March, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment